Wednesday, 31 August 2011
Tuesday, 23 August 2011
Preparing the base. Dying with a hot tea bath of Darjeeling resulted in the delicate dusky stain on the vintage tray cloth on the right, which makes up the base of the piece...
It also resulted in old stains (i.e. those which had been made to disappear with soap or Vanish) reappearing. This has been a rather lovely development. The stains add to the history of the fabric and will not be covered up. Also 1-2 laundry marks and a few teeny darns which are evident too. You can have fun searching for them when the piece goes on show!
Here are a couple of links to posts on this piece from Murgatroydhoots.blogspot.com
Monday, 22 August 2011
Thursday, 18 August 2011
I've been working intermittently for ages on a portrait of my sister, the artist Joy Parker. I have been embroidering copies of the letters she sent to me thirty years ago on an old boiler suit she used for painting. I have tried to replicate the style of the writing, following on a course I did with an artist, Rosalind Wyatt, at Waterperry Gardens who specialises in copying handwriting. She did exquisite work; this piece has more of my usual rambunctious style, but as Joy changes her letter shapes alter and I have worked to reflect these.
I wasn't sure how to display this, and finally last week I asked Joy to have a drawing of her outline done and sent to me, so that I could cut out a plywood version. I was going to stick the original letters on in a decoupage style and then hang the boiler suit on this.
However, yesterday I got an email from the Worcester Scrapstore saying they had two plaster casts of a woman available. I had an appointment for the time the store opened so wrote a begging email immediately asking if I could bribe them to keep one for me for an hour.
The upshot is I now have a (rather too tall) plaster cast of a woman and if I (or rather Rod) can figure out how to get it to stand safely, I think I will use this. It isn't Joy, but the peopleness of it appeals to me more than using either a shop dummy or a flat board.
Now I just need to finish copying the letters. I started this exercise as a way of using these letters I have kept for so long, thinking it would be a good way of no longer feeling the need to keep the,. I have gone from a slender flat file of letters to a large boiler suit and an enormous 3d woman. Not quite what I originally intended in terms of managing my storage needs!
The music died. It stopped being something with potential to create a dance. Now it lies flat and lifeless. How could I have been so insensitive? The pianola depended on movement and I stopped it.
Anyway,you can have a smile at me with my deceased pianola roll whilst I devise a plan for resurrection.
Tuesday, 16 August 2011
Hot from the needle and caught on camera!
He had a bit of sulk over the weekend when he heard that Lindsay was doing a belly dancer on her pianola roll but was persuaded that doing the fox trot was vintage risque.
What's going to happen when he gets amongst those chickens?
Sunday, 14 August 2011
Thursday, 11 August 2011
Kathleen makes a lot of stuffed creatures, and set to making her creature eyes with pieces of felt held in place and embellished with long stitches. The eyes are clearly a pair, though of different shapes and sizes.
Ann made the fish so that only one eye showed at a time, so here they are in separate images. Again they are not identical, with a flash of pink on one eye. They are pieces of coloured felt with long stitch eyelashes.
Thursday, 4 August 2011
I came across this old map in 'The Old Bell' archives and thought it would be perfect to indicate the fox's territory. The Bell Inn just managed to squeeze itself in to the north! I've experimented printing this out on tissue paper and sticking it onto a background which worked really well.