Another year is well under way at Textiles Alumni Course at South Worcester College. (Two of The Wednesday Group are attending this time.)
Some of you will remember how our tutor suspected that our pencils were gathering dust and sketchbooks were put aside for lighting fires when winter set in. ( picture the unease, the shuffling about and nervous giggles when this was suggested!) However the lady knows us well and ignoring the raised eyebrows and someone asking the time of coffee break, launched us on our first design exercise of the year which turned out to be fun!
We had to pair up with someone we didn't usually work with and one of the pair sat down with pencil poised. The other person, facing the opposite direction, was given an object and had to describe it so that her partner could draw it.Then we swapped places.I have to say that the results were uncannily accurate bearing in mind we didn't have any idea what we were drawing. Apparently this means that we are good communicators........ (which probably means we are better at talking than drawing.)
Sorry, I didn't get any shots of these works- they were whisked away.
By this time our pencils were nicely limbered up and we had to use them in various ways....just as we did when we first started.( Yes and using all the grades of graphite that never usually see the light of day.) I'll let you see my ten minute scribble to break up the prose!
We had to tie our pencils to a metre long cane for the next exercise and draw from afar. You certainly have to pit your wits against it to bring it under control.
Did I say 'control'?
Well, I do need to loosen up a bit, my usual work is too controlled and tidy. I will sneak in a page of my secret sketch book here - to show you what I mean.
Another way of getting rather uncontrollable results was to fold over a piece of paper and on the bottom half cover it over in chalk. Over the top of the chalk, scribble blocks of wax crayons.
Fold back the other side to cover this and draw on top of it with a biro.
When you open up the folded paper the imprint of the biro shows as coloured lines.
People who had drawn patterns had much more effective results in this exercise. Maybe with practise you could make this work for you as a design tool but I felt it was a bit of a gimmick.
A suggestion was to advance our embryo designs, we should use use a media that we don't normally use. I settled on collage using paper torn from magazines.
My subject was trying to reflect the ever changing profile of the Malvern Hills.
Oh for my needle and thread!